Pursuing a medical degree in Nigeria can be financially challenging for some students, as it involves various expenses ranging from textbooks to diverse registration fees within the College of Medicine. Unlike students in the Arts or Humanities, medical students cannot easily engage in demanding side jobs.
However, there are several Nigerian scholarship for medical students you can apply for to learn without paying.
Nigerian scholarship for medical students
Below is the best Nigerian scholarship for medical students:
Kain Foundation is a philanthropic entity dedicated to supporting students eager to advance their medical education. By offering scholarships, the foundation seeks to alleviate financial burdens associated with medical studies and promote the pursuit of higher education through the provision of monetary assistance.
They invite applications from academically exceptional yet financially disadvantaged undergraduates seeking to pursue medical degrees, either locally or internationally. High school graduates aiming to study medicine at Nigerian universities and current undergraduate students already enrolled in medical programs throughout Nigeria are also welcome to apply.
To be eligible for this scholarship program, applicants must:
- Be Nigerian citizens or have an academic history in Nigeria;
- Have completed a minimum of five years of secondary education (SACE/SSCE/WAEC), with passing grades in Mathematics, English Language, and Physics;
- Achieve a 100% overall aggregate score and passing grades in all subjects taken during the final year of SACE/SSCE/WAEC examination.
2. Nigeria Graduate Scholarship Award
The Nigeria Graduate Scholarship Award, sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology, provides financial and academic support to Nigerian students pursuing graduate studies. This program encompasses a variety of disciplines, including business administration, economics, law, education, and medicine, and is open to both domestic and international students seeking admission to accredited universities or government-owned higher institutions.
Valued at over $5 million annually, this Nigerian scholarship for medical students covers up to five years for master’s degree programs and extends to doctoral degrees that last four years or more, such as Ph.D. and Doctor of Medicine. Successful awardees receive a monthly stipend of $800-$900 from the Federal Government throughout their academic tenure in Nigeria.
A.G Leventis Foundation Scholarship, designated for students pursuing medical studies in Nigeria, encompasses programs such as Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Nursing. The annual application deadline is March 31st.
Eligibility criteria for applicants include Nigerian citizenship and completion of a first degree before applying. Additionally, you must possess a strong academic record, with a minimum of 60% marks in your final exams, and demonstrate active involvement in community service. The scholarship amount varies based on the chosen discipline but all recipients are granted an annual sum of N30,000 (Thirty Thousand Naira) for the duration of their studies at an institution accredited by the Federal Ministry of Education or the National Universities Commission (NUC).
4. Tony Elumelu Foundation Scholarship
Established in 2011 by Nigerian entrepreneur and philanthropist Tony Elumelu, who has a net worth of $1 billion, the Tony Elumelu Foundation is a non-profit organization Nigeria Graduate Scholarship Award dedicated to offering scholarships to African students.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must be citizens of an African nation, possess a business concept, hold a degree or have a minimum of 3 years of work experience, and complete an online application form.
You can submit an application for a paid UNICEF internship by visiting their website at this link. Eligibility criteria include being a Nigerian citizen between the ages of 18 and 24 who has successfully finished secondary education.
6. Diamond Bank Scholarship for Nigerian Undergraduate
Diamond Bank Full Scholarship for Nigerian Undergraduates, HND, and NCE Students in Nigerian Universities is a program designed to support academically outstanding yet financially challenged students.
The Nigerian scholarship for medical students opportunity is open to first, second, and third-year students enrolled in either public or private higher education institutions in Nigeria. Eligible students must be aged between 17 and 23 years and hold a minimum CGPA of 3.1/4 in their WAEC/SSCE/NECO examinations.
To qualify for the Shell Centenary Scholarship Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold Nigerian citizenship
- Possess an exceptional academic history (with a minimum of 3.5/4 or higher)
- Show financial necessity and obtain admission to a participating Nigerian university.
Shell Nigeria Education Trust (SNET) will review applications that include all three requirements mentioned above.
8. Agbami Medical Scholarship Award
Star Deep Water Petroleum Limited, a subsidiary of Chevron, is committed to supporting the growth of Nigeria’s workforce by offering scholarships to qualified students in the health and engineering sectors. As the operator of the Agbami Field, the company recognizes the importance of investing in the education of the next generation of professionals.
To apply for the scholarship, candidates must be full-time undergraduate students in their first or second year of study at a Nigerian university, pursuing one of the following courses: Medicine & Surgery, Dentistry, or Pharmacy. All students from any state in Nigeria are eligible to apply.
Applications can be submitted electronically and will be considered based on academic merit and financial need. This is an exciting opportunity for students to receive support and further their education in these important fields.
9. NNPC/Total Undergraduate Scholarship
The NNPC/Total Undergraduate Nigerian scholarship for medical students offers yearly financial support to selected students, starting from their first or second year of college, until they complete their degree.
Eligibility Criteria Certain groups of students are ineligible to apply for the scholarship program:
- Applicants who scored below 200 in UTME are not eligible
- Students with a CGPA lower than 2.50 on a 5-point scale or its equivalent are not qualified
- Students in their 300 level or higher are not eligible to apply
- Current recipients of similar scholarships from any other organization or government agency are not allowed to apply.
Orji Uzor Kalu Foundation has revealed an expanded Nigerian scholarship for medical students program for the 2022 academic year, providing opportunities for 650 students with a keen interest and enthusiasm for medicine and surgery to pursue their education at 12 carefully selected Nigerian universities.
For this scholarship, the Foundation has meticulously handpicked 12 universities in Nigeria.
- University of Nigeria Nsukka: 50 Students
- Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria: 50 Students
- University of Ibadan: 50 Students
- University of Calabar: 50 Students
- University of Maiduguri: 50 Students
- University of Jos: 50 Students
- Abia State University: 100 Students
- Enugu State University: 50 Students
- Anambra State University: 50 Students
- Ebonyi State University: 50 Students
- Imo State University: 50 Students
- Rivers State University: 50 Students
11. NNPC/Addax Petroleum Development Nigeria Limited Host Community Scholarship
Addax Petroleum Development (Nigerian) Limited (APDNL), as part of its commitment to Corporate Social Responsibility, is inviting eligible students from its host communities to apply for the Host Community Tertiary Scholarship Scheme. This Nigerian scholarship for medical students opportunity is exclusively for students from APDNL Host Communities.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in a Nigerian Tertiary Institution.
- Must be a certified 100-level student at the time of application (applicable only for students admitted in the 2020/2021 academic year).
- For OND students, the scholarship will cover two years of studies.
Important Note: Students belonging to the following categories should not apply:
- Students at the 200 level and above
- HND students
- Recipients of comparable awards from other corporations and organizations
Only residents of the APDNL host communities in the states of Rivers, Akwa Ibom, and Imo who are indigenous to the area are eligible to apply for the Host Communities Merit Award.
Please note that the aptitude test will be conducted online using a computer-based testing application with remote proctoring and the test date will be communicated to shortlisted applicants only.
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation (NHEF) is excited to present the 6th Annual Scholarship Essay Contest. This year’s contest aims to foster critical and strategic thinking among Nigerian university students on crucial topics that impact Nigeria’s sustainable growth and development.
The contest is exclusively open to students attending NHEF Partner Universities. NHEF will confirm each participant’s enrollment with the University Registrar.
NHEF Partner Universities comprise Ahmadu Bello University, Bayero University Kano, Kwara State University, University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, University of Nigeria Nsukka, and University of Port Harcourt.
13. NNPC/SNEPCo National University Scholarship
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company Limited (SNEPCo) along with their partners are inviting applications from eligible Nigerian students for the NNPC/SNEPCo National University Scholarship Programme. This initiative is aimed at fostering academic excellence and enhancing the abilities of young Nigerians.
Successful applicants will receive annual grants for their undergraduate degree program, starting from their second year of study until completion.
This merit-based Nigerian scholarship for medical students is only open to full-time undergraduate students studying in Nigerian universities. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Nigerian citizen
- Currently, be in their second year of full-time study at a Nigerian Federal or State University accredited by the National Universities Commission (NUC)
- Have a minimum CGPA of 3.5 on a 5-grade scale
- Not be receiving any other scholarships, whether national or international.
MTN Scholarships for Youth Development is a yearly program that acknowledges and supports high-achieving students in public tertiary institutions in Nigeria. The scholarship focuses on students studying science and technology-related courses at the 300 level, including universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education. 300 lucky students are selected each year to receive scholarships worth NGN 200,000 annually until they graduate, as long as they maintain the required academic standards.
The HillCity Foundation Scholarship, a non-profit initiative, provides financial support to Nigerian students. This scholarship aims to foster sustainable development and enrichment for young individuals.
- Minimum 4.0 CGPA
- Enrollment at a Federal or State University in Nigeria
- Two recommendation letters from lecturers at your institution
- Valid ID card
- Official result or CGPA verification signed by your Head of Department
- Letter of Identification from your department
NLNG is committed to promoting education through various initiatives, including scholarships. The company has established a four-tier scholarship program designed to support human capital development, encourage high performance, and cultivate a group of high-potential students, graduates, and professionals with a competitive edge.
Each scholarship recipient receives an annual award of N150,000 throughout their course.
The NNPC/MPN JV scholarship aims to support the Federal Government of Nigeria by developing and training medium and high-level manpower for the country. It also serves to create a pool of potential employees for the company.
While some graduates have been successfully recruited by the company, ExxonMobil is not obligated to offer employment to the scholarship recipients upon completion of their studies.
To be eligible, applicants must have passed at least six subjects in the SSCE or its equivalent and be registered as full-time undergraduates in their first or second year at a Nigerian university. Individuals who are currently receiving similar scholarships from other oil and gas companies are not eligible to apply. Additionally, dependents of employees at Mobil Producing Nigeria, Mobil Oil Nigeria Plc, and Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria Limited are also not eligible for this scholarship.
18. PTDF Scholarship
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a governmental agency responsible for fostering local human capacity and petroleum technology to address the demands of the oil and gas sector.
- Applicants need to possess a National Identity Number (NIN) before applying for the Nigerian scholarship for medical students.
- Applicants need to be aware that they must validate their NIN before continuing with their application (NIMC verification fees apply).
- Individuals who have previously received any PTDF scholarships are not eligible to apply for the same or lower degree categories.
- Those currently benefiting from other scholarships should not apply.
- The application process is limited to Federal Universities and specific courses only.
- All applicants must have a valid admission letter from the University.
19. Midwestern Oil & Gas JV Scholarship
Midwestern Oil and Gas Company Limited, the operator of the Umusadege Field in OML 56, Delta State, alongside its JV Partner SunTrust Oil Company Nigeria Limited, has been committed to fostering sustainable growth for the residents of its host communities and Delta State as a whole. By continuously investing in human capital, the companies aim to promote economic development.
- The Nigerian scholarship for medical students is available to students in their 100 & 200 levels at the time of application.
- JAMB/UTME and University admission letter from a recognized/approved university in Nigeria.
- A minimum of 5 Credits in SSCE or GCE, including Mathematics and English, obtained in a single sitting.
- A valid University ID Card.
- An identification letter signed by either the Ward Counselor or a member of the Community Accredited Contact-men Committee (CACC).