Education is a valuable investment that takes time to bear fruit, but it is one of the greatest gifts to be passed on to individuals, groups, and society. This has been the philosophy of Shell Nigeria, which has led to the establishment of Shell scholarship for Nigeria university students.
Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited Joint Venture (SPDC JV) and Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCo) have invested approximately $5.9 million (N1.78 billion) in scholarships.
Shell scholarship for Nigeria university students
Below is the best Shell scholarship for Nigeria university students:
1. University scholarship initiative
The University Scholarship Initiative, administered by SPDC on behalf of the NNPC/Shell/Elf/Agip Joint Venture, subtly yet powerfully demonstrates the company’s commitment to fostering capacity building within the country.
Annually, over 4,000 Nigerian undergraduate students take aptitude tests to join the growing roster of students that Shell Nigeria supports in Nigerian universities.
Applicants are shortlisted based on their national SSCE and JAMB examination results, followed by aptitude tests held in Port Harcourt, Warri, Enugu, Lagos, and Abuja.
The Scholarship Initiative consists of two categories:
- The National Merit Award (NM) (available to all Nigerian undergraduates).
- The Areas of Operation Merit Award (AOM) (designated for students from communities where Shell Nigeria operates).
Both categories are open exclusively to first-year students in Nigerian universities.
On average, 16,000 applicants respond to Shell Nigeria’s annual advertisements, inviting eligible candidates to apply for the Shell scholarship for Nigeria university students, which is valid only at Nigerian universities.
2. Niger Delta postgraduate scholarship program
This Shell scholarship is not for Nigerian university undergraduates per se, however, it’s still a scholarship program designed for Nigerians.
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC), the managing entity of the SPDC Joint Venture, is thrilled to present the tenth annual NNPC/SPDC_JV Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship for candidates originating from Bayelsa, Delta, Imo, and Rivers states.
This Shell scholarship for Nigeria university students aims to offer postgraduate educational opportunities in fields pertinent to the oil and gas sector for eligible students hailing from these Niger Delta states.
Since its inception, this program has granted 100 students the chance to study at prestigious UK universities on full scholarships.
SPDC, in collaboration with Imperial College London, University of Leeds, and the University of Aberdeen, will provide scholarships for one-year M.Sc. postgraduate studies.
The eligible courses for scholarship awards at these three institutions are as follows:
University: Imperial College London Degrees:
- MSc Petroleum Engineering
- MSc Applied Computational Science and Engineering
University: University of Aberdeen Degrees:
- MSc Geophysics
- MSc Safety & Reliability Engineering for Oil & Gas
- MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering
University: University of Leeds Degrees:
- MSc Exploration Geophysics
- MSc Electronic/Electrical Engineering
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Exhibit intellectual ability and leadership potential
- Possess an adequate level of English (minimum 6.5 in IELTS) and meet the College’s language requirement
- Have received an offer of admission to study one of the Eligible Courses at the College through the standard application process
- Already hold (or anticipate holding by the time the Scholarship is taken up) a degree equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class Honours degree
- Complete the National Youth Service
- Be ordinarily resident in Rivers, Imo, Delta, or Bayelsa State of Nigeria, with the intention to return to Nigeria after the study period
- Not have previously had the opportunity to study in the UK or another developed country
- Be between the ages of 21 and 28 by September 30, 2024
- Currently reside in Nigeria
- Plan to return to Nigeria upon completion of the proposed program of study
- Possess a Nigerian international passport valid until December 2024
- Employees, relatives of employees (or former employees who left employment less than 5 years ago) of SPDC, the SHELL Group of Companies, or the College are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
The application process for shell scholarship in Nigerian universities includes the following:
- Apply for admission to any of the participating universities for any eligible course.
- Scholarship application forms will ONLY be accessible through the websites of Imperial College London, the University of Leeds, and the University of Aberdeen after receiving a formal offer of admission from the respective university.
- The universities will review applications and select candidates for interviews with SPDC, which will determine the final selection.
- Completed scholarship application forms must be submitted to the participating universities.
- The scholarship will cover tuition, a single economy class return-flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK, and a contribution towards living expenses only.
The stipends (living expenses) are determined by the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) published living rates and are restricted to this amount only. This scholarship is non-binding. Thus, neither SPDC NOR any Shell company has the obligation to employ any candidate upon graduation, nor are successful candidates bound to SPDC for any duration due to the scholarship award.
SPDC will solely offer medical insurance in accordance with UK Student Visa requirements.
Were you granted a Shell scholarship?
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC) has created the Shell Scholars’ Forum specifically for past recipients of Shell university and postgraduate scholarship awards. The Shell Scholars’ Forum serves as an excellent platform for networking.
Certain individuals are now claiming to represent Shell in relation to our Scholarship Programmes. They act as intermediaries, assert that they can influence or obtain scholarships for applicants through their access to Shell’s scholarship processes.
Shell has neither authorized nor designated any persons or organizations to serve as middlemen or agents for our scholarship programmes and does not require any fees from candidates for Shell scholarship for Nigeria university students. It’s free to apply.
Read also: Apply now – MTN science and tech scholarship