Have you ever dreamed of pursuing your MS degree in the United States? A reality check may have shattered your hopes, reminding you of the exorbitant tuition fees and cost of living. Are you considering abandoning your cherished dream of studying abroad? While education loans may seem like an option to finance your international education, the idea of being burdened with debt can be daunting.
But what if we told you that your dream of pursuing an MS degree in the US can still come true? There is a simple solution to this predicament – scholarships for Indian students to study in USA for Masters.
GyanDhan presents a comprehensive list of scholarships for MS programs in the USA, including those offered by specific colleges and those available to international students. These scholarships are designed to alleviate the significant financial burden of studying abroad.
Scholarships for Indian Students to Study in USA for Masters
Common Scholarships for MS Programs in the USA for Indian Students:
1. Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship
At Aga Khan Foundation, you can get scholarships with limited availability to students seeking postgraduate studies, such as an MS degree. These scholarships are specifically targeted at students from developing countries who lack alternative means of funding their education. The selection process for the scholarship is highly competitive.
The scholarship is awarded on a 50% grant and 50% loan basis. Half of the scholarship amount is considered a loan, which must be repaid with an annual service charge of 5%. To secure the loan, a guarantor is required to co-sign the loan agreement. The repayment period begins five years after the completion of the study program.
Khan scholarship covers both tuition fees and living expenses, and the amount awarded is determined based on the individual student’s needs.
To be eligible for this scholarship:
- The applicant must be a resident of an eligible country, which includes India.
- The student should be a resident of a country where there are Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB), or Local Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) offices.
- Preference is given to students below the age of 30.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong academic record.
2. Generation Google Scholarship
Google scholarship is designed to support ambitious computer science students in their pursuit of excellence in the field of technology. This scholarship opportunity is open to students who wish to pursue higher education in the United States or Canada.
- Amount: The scholarship offers $1,000 USD for students studying in the United States.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and a strong commitment to the advancement of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology.
- Enrolled as a full-time student pursuing a Bachelor’s degree.
- Currently in the second year of studies at an accredited university in an Asia Pacific country while participating in the scholarship program.
- Majoring in computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field.
- Show strong academic performance.
Meanwhile, you can apply for the Laptop scholarship for college students in India.
3. AAUW International Fellowships
Consider applying for the American Association of University Women (AAUW) offers this scholarship exclusively to women, to promote equity and education among girls. It is specifically designed for non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent residents who are seeking full-time study or research opportunities. Over the past few years, more than 3,600 women from over 150 countries have received this scholarship, making it one of the most sought-after scholarships for Indian women pursuing a Master’s degree in the United States.
The scholarship amount is set at US $20,000 and can be utilized for tuition expenses, living costs, and dependent child care. Up to five fellowships for Master’s or first professional degrees will be renewed for a second year.
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizenship: Must be a citizen of any country other than the United States.
- Academic Qualification: Must hold an academic degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree.
- Career Intentions: Must have the intention to return to their home country to pursue a professional career.
- English Proficiency: Must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting transcripts from an English-speaking institution where the applicant received their undergraduate degree or secondary diploma. Alternatively, they can submit a TOEFL score of at least 79 for the internet-based test.
- Duration of Study: Must be engaged in full-year study or research. The organization does not fund partial years of study or research.
- Application to Accredited U.S. Institution: Must have applied to an accredited institution in the United States.
4. Global Study Awards
The British Council launched this scholarship in 2015 to support highly motivated students who possess a strong commitment to career development and a desire to promote intercultural coherence.
Eligible candidates for this award must have achieved exceptional results in their IELTS test. The scholarship is open to individuals from all countries who intend to pursue undergraduate, postgraduate, or Ph.D. programs anywhere in the world.
The scholarship provides a financial contribution of £10,000, which is primarily allocated towards covering tuition fees. If the tuition fee is lower than the scholarship amount, the remaining funds, up to a maximum of 52 weeks, can be utilized to support living expenses.
Requirements for this scholarship for Indian students to study in USA for Masters:
- Must be above 18 years old.
- Must be planning to enroll in an undergraduate or postgraduate program abroad.
- Must provide an acceptance letter from the relevant educational institution as proof of enrollment.
5. Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation Scholarships
Mr. Narotam Sekhsaria established the Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation in 2002, with a dedicated focus on supporting India’s brightest individuals in their pursuit of higher education. The foundation offers scholarships for Indian students to study in USA for Masters to meritorious students. Recipients receive the scholarship in the form of an interest-free loan, which they are required to repay according to the organization’s predetermined schedule.
- Scholarship Amount – The maximum scholarship amount provided is INR 20 lakhs.
- Hold Indian citizenship and reside in India.
- Be below the age of 30.
- Possess a graduate degree from an accredited Indian university. Final-year students are also eligible to apply.
- Students who have applied to universities and are awaiting acceptance can also submit their applications for the scholarship.
6. S.N. Bose Scholars Student Exchange Program
The main purpose of the ‘S.N. Bose Scholars Program’ scholarship is to groom future leaders. It is named in honor of Professor Satyendra Nath Bose. The scholarship includes a stipend of USD 2000, health insurance coverage, and airfare.
- A stipend of USD 2000
- Health insurance
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen of India
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree at a recognized university
- Enrolled in one of the following fields: Atmospheric and Earth Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Mathematical and Computational Sciences, or Physical Sciences. (Please refer to additional information for more details.)
7. Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowships
The Reliance Dhirubhai India Education Fund was established as a collaborative effort between Reliance Industries Limited and Stanford GSB. It is a flagship initiative of Reliance Industries Limited aimed at providing support to financially disadvantaged students who aspire to pursue a two-year MBA program at Stanford Business School.
This is one of the scholarships for Indian students to study in USA for Masters awarded based on the academic performance of the students, with preference given to those who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievements. The scholarship takes into consideration the financial need of the students and covers approximately 80% of the tuition fees. Each year, five finalists are selected based on their educational qualifications, leadership qualities, and skills.
Upon graduation, recipients of this scholarship are required to return to India and engage in employment in either the private or public sector for a minimum period of two years.
Amount: Each Fellow is estimated to receive a total value of $83,000 per year.
- Must be an Indian citizen
- Must achieve a minimum cutoff score on the GMAT or GRE
8. Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The administration of the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students and Foreign Language Teaching Assistants (FLTAs) is carried out by binational Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassies. These entities are responsible for handling all applications for the Foreign Student and FLTA Programs. Eligibility criteria and selection procedures for these programs can vary significantly from one country to another.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program facilitates the opportunity for graduate students, young professionals, and artists from abroad to conduct research and study in the United States for one year or longer. Participants can pursue their studies at U.S. universities or other appropriate educational institutions. This program also extends to educators from more than 55 countries, enabling them to enhance their professional skills while gaining firsthand knowledge of the United States, its culture, and its people.
9. TATA Scholarship at Cornell University
The Tata Education and Development Trust has launched a scholarship program aimed at supporting Indian undergraduate students. With total funding of $25 million, Cornell University will be able to provide financial assistance to deserving individuals.
The TATA scholarships will be awarded to a total of 20 scholars on an annual basis. To be eligible for consideration, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen or resident of India.
- Have completed their 12th-grade education.
- Qualify for need-based financial aid.
- Submit a valid TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score. The minimum required scores are as follows:
- TOEFL-iBT: 100
- IELTS: 7.0
Applicants must have received an admission offer from Cornell University for an undergraduate degree program.
To be considered for the undergraduate scholarship, students must meet the following qualifications:
- Be a citizen of India and have attended secondary school in India.
- Have received an admission offer from Cornell University for undergraduate studies.
- Be eligible for need-based financial aid.
Scholarships for MS in the USA – College Specific
|Illinois State University||Up to $40,000|
|University of Oregon||$1,000 – $5,000|
|New York University Wagner Scholarships||Varies based on scholarship type|
|International Students Academic Merit Scholarship||20% of tuition fees|
|Michigan State University||Offers $25,000, $21,000, or $18,000 per year for eight semesters based on student performance|
1. Illinois State University
Illinois State University offers merit-based partial tuition waivers to international students enrolled in undergraduate or postgraduate programs. The waiver applies specifically to tuition costs and does not cover additional fees.
Amount: Up to $40,000 (up to $10,000 per year, renewable for up to three additional years).
There are no specific eligibility criteria. The university grants this waiver to students with outstanding academic records who continue their education at the institution.
2. University of Oregon
The University of Oregon provides various scholarships for Indian students to study in USA for Masters, some of which require an application, while others consider students automatically based on their GPA and qualifying test scores such as SAT and ACT. Below is a merit-based scholarship offered by the university:
- Sushil Jajodia Indian Student Scholarship
Established by Sushil Jajodia and exclusively available to Indian students at the University of Oregon. Scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 may be awarded per academic year. To qualify, you must be a resident of India.
3. New York University Wagner Scholarships
New York University also offers merit-based scholarships for Indian students to study in USA for Masters. To apply, you must submit your admission applications online to the university. The selection process considers two factors: compliance with the scholarship program requirements and the strength of the submitted application.
- International Students Academic Merit Scholarship
This scholarship covers full tuition and is awarded based on the merit and strength of the application, regardless of the degree program or area of interest. Therefore, students pursuing an MS in the US can apply for this scholarship.
Public Service Scholarship – This scholarship grants partial or half-tuition funding based on merit and the strength of the application. It applies to all fields of study, including MS programs in the US. More details can be found in the link provided.
4. Griffith University
Griffith University offers the International Students Academic Merit Scholarship to exceptional international students applying for undergraduate and graduate programs. This scholarship provides an opportunity for students with outstanding achievements.
Amount: Recipients of this scholarship will receive a 20% reduction in their tuition fees.
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a non-citizen of Australia or New Zealand.
- Have a minimum GPA of 5.0 to 5.49 on a 7-point scale or equivalent in their previous educational qualifications.
- Enroll as a full-time student for the academic session of 2023.
- Meet the educational and English proficiency test requirements for their preferred undergraduate or postgraduate programs.
5. Michigan State University
Michigan State University offers the following scholarships for first-year incoming students.
a. You Are Welcome Here
This scholarship is exclusively awarded to a selected group of international students who embrace the message of “You are welcome here” and actively work towards bridging cultural gaps.
Amount: This scholarship covers $25,000 towards tuition fees for up to 8 semesters.
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a first-year international student applying to any major at the university.
- Show a genuine interest in intercultural learning and exchange.
- Meet the general admission criteria and adhere to important university deadlines.
- Complete the YAWH scholarship application, including a 500-1000 word essay or a two-to-five-minute video.
b. International Tuition Grant
This scholarship is awarded to academically competitive students and is based on holistic performance, taking into account your academic achievements.
The scholarship amount may vary based on your performance and can range from $25,000 to $18,000 per year for eight semesters.
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a non-U.S. citizen.
- Demonstrate proficiency in English by clearing the English proficiency test.
- Exhibit excellent academic performance.
How to Get a US Scholarship
When it comes to scholarships for Indian students to study in USA for Masters, availability can be limited, so make sure to take the application process seriously. For example, colleges such as New York University, offer scholarships based on the strength of your submitted application.
To improve your application and improve your chances of acceptance, consider the following tips:
- Apply for as many scholarships as possible to maximize your opportunities for receiving financial aid.
- If a scholarship requires a short essay, have it reviewed by an expert to enhance its quality and increase your chance of success.
- Include references or referees in your application to bolster its credibility and strengthen your overall profile.
- Ensure that all the provided information is well-presented and free from grammatical or spelling errors, as these mistakes can create a negative impression on the reviewers.
Reasons You Can be Disqualified from MS Scholarships in the US
Scholarships for Indian students to study in USA for Masters can be subject to revocation, even after being awarded. Below are some common circumstances that may lead to the withdrawal of US scholarships.
1. Submitting false information
You have to provide accurate information when completing your scholarship application forms. If false information is discovered, your scholarship can be revoked.
2. Not maintaining the required grades
Merit-based scholarships often require you to maintain a certain level of academic performance. If there is a significant drop in university grades, your scholarship can be withdrawn.
3. Changing major or college
Switching majors or colleges can result in the loss of scholarship funds from public or private organizations. Consider the potential impact on scholarships before making such decisions.
4. Misusing scholarship funds
If you use your scholarship funds for purposes other than those specified in the scholarship’s guidelines, you can be disqualified.