As an international student who wants to get a good education, you want to go to Australia. Fortunately, even without IELTS, you can find the cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS. Of course, they offer a wide range of courses in many different fields. Studying in Australia can be expensive for international students who have to pay more than Australian students. Normally, you have to take tests like the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or similar to show that they can speak English well. But some Australian universities may overlook IELTS for other tests.
Cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS
English Language Tests are a common measure that not many of us are good at. IELTS and TOEFL are hard to pass, so what if we find a way to study in Australia without taking those tests? Below is the cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS:
1. Charles Darwin University
Northern Territory of Australia is where Charles Darwin University is located. It has both undergraduate and graduate programs in business, education, engineering, health sciences, law, and nursing, among others.
Being the cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS, Charles Darwin University accepts the following English proficiency tests:
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
- Common European Framework Certificate of English Proficiency
However, some courses require IELTS only, so you can’t offer those specific courses without IELTS.
2. University of Southern Queensland
The Australian state of Queensland is home to the University of Southern Queensland. It’s a university with both undergraduate and graduate programs in business, engineering, health, the humanities, and the sciences, among others.
This cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS accepts Pearson (PTE Academic), TOEFL (electronic or computer-based), and TOEFL (paper-based). See the score requirements here.
3. Central Queensland University
Central Queensland University is in the Australian state of Queensland. The undergraduate and graduate programs include business, education, engineering, health, the humanities, and the sciences, among others.
If you do not have IELTS, you can study an English language course offered by CQU English Language Centre. You can study any of the English courses for free if it is packaged with an academic course.
4. University of New England
The University of New England is in the Australian state of New South Wales. They offer undergraduate and graduate programs in business, education, health, humanities, law, and the sciences, among others. It is the cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS. You can present TOEFL or Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) minimum overall score of 57 with no skill less than 50.
5. The University of Adelaide
The University of Adelaide is one of the best universities in Australia and is ranked 114th in the world. You can apply to the University of Adelaide without IELTS or TOEFL if:
- You have a conditional acceptance from the university and finish the English Pathway Program at the University of Adelaide OR
- If the last degree you got was in the English Language (Both instruction and Assessment in English)
For admission, you will need to show a letter from your degree school saying that you have finished your degree in English Language, Instruction, and Assessment.
6. University of New South Wales
The University of New South Wales is the third-best university in Australia and the 45th-best university in the world. Without IELTS, you can get into UNSW if:
- You’ve been accepted to UNSW on a conditional basis, and you finish their Pre-Seasonal English Language Program.
- Instead of IELTS or TOEFL, you can also send in your PTE or Cambridge English: Advanced scores for review.
7. Macquerie University
Macquarie University is one of the top 250 universities in the world. Macquarie University will let you in if you meet certain requirements such as higher grades and without IELTS. You can instead use TOEFL iBT Home Edition or PTE Academic Online.
You can take an English preparation course at the Macquarie University English Language Centre if you meet all of the admissions requirements except for English Language Proficiency.
8. Bond University
Bond University is one of the top 500 colleges and universities in the world. To be exact, it comes in at 443rd. You can finish EAP Level 3 (English for Academic Purposes) at Bond University College before the program starts and still be eligible for admission.
Bond University accepts the following for people looking for the cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) requirements
- Pearson Test of English Academic requirements
- C1 Advanced language requirements
9. Southern Cross University
Southern Cross University is in the Australian state of New South Wales. It has both undergraduate and graduate programs in business, education, health, humanities, law, and the sciences, among others.
TOEFL iBT, CAE, and CPE are accepted forms of English language tests at Southern Cross University. Even CEFR and ISPLR are accepted. Below are the meanings of these acronyms:
- CPE: Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English
- TOEFL iBT: Test of English as a Foreign Language – internet based test
- PTE: Pearson Test of English
- ISPLR: International Second Language Proficiency Rating
- CEFR: Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
10. Edith Cowan University
Western Australia is the place where Edith Cowan University is. It has both undergraduate and graduate programs in business, education, engineering, health sciences, law, and nursing, among others.
Edith Cowan University accepts the following tests:
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
- Prior Study of English course
- TOEFL iBT or TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
- WAUFP, etc.
You can see more on the Edith Cowan website. Select “An international” under the question “I want to be” to display other tests Cowan University accepts in Australia.
11. University of the Sunshine Coast
The University of the Sunshine Coast is located in Queensland, Australia. It offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in various fields such as business, education, engineering, health sciences, humanities, and sciences.
The University of the Sunshine Coast accepts the following English language tests:
- Pearson Test of English
- TOEFL: Paper-based
- TOEFL iBT
There are many others, which you should check here to be sure about your eligibility as an international student looking for the cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS.
12. University of Tasmania
The Australian state of Tasmania is home to the University of Tasmania. It has both undergraduate and graduate programs in business, education, health sciences, humanities, law, and the sciences, among others.
The University of Tasmania accepts IELTS (Academic), TOEFL (iBT), PTE Academic, Cambridge CAE (Certificate of Advanced English), Cambridge CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English), Cambridge BEC (Business English Certificate), etc., in place of IELTS. Check out other qualifications on the university’s website.
13. Federation University
Federation University is in the Australian state of Victoria. It has both undergraduate and graduate programs in business, education, engineering, health sciences, humanities, and sciences, among others.
No IELTS, no problem. You are still an eligible student for the Federation University if you meet the requirements for Cambridge-CAE, Pearson (PTE), or TOEFL iBT.
14. University of South Australia
The University of South Australia is another cheapest university in Australia for international students without IELTS. It is ranked 264th in the world and has flexible English language requirements. If one of the following is true, you can get into the school without IELTS:
- A score of 169 on the Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency (CPE)
- At least one year of college or university study in Australia
- One year of secondary school or college education in a country chosen by the University.
15. Swinburne University of Technology
The Swinburne University of Technology is the 387th-best university in the world. You can get into Swinburne if you meet any of the following requirements:
- If you finished your secondary and/or post-secondary education in a school where English was used for both tests and lessons. You will have to show a letter that says the same thing.
- If you are from one of these countries, you don’t need to show proof that you can speak English:
- Hong Kong
- If you finish English for Academic Purposes at the Swinburne University of Technology and do well, you can go right into the program there.
16. Victoria University
This school is on the IELTS Study in Australia list of universities. Victoria University will also accept a few other English proficiency certificates, such as
- Cambridge English Advanced CAE
- Cambridge English – First Certificate in English FCE
- Pearson Test of English PTE
Most universities that offer English Language Courses on their campuses charge different prices for them. Neither your tuition nor your application or academic fees will cover these costs. There will be different costs for each one. So, you now know where you can study in Australia without taking the IELTS.
Keep in mind that the Australian Government and many Australian universities accept the PTE (Pearson Test of English) as proof of language proficiency.
Alternative ways for international students without IELTS in Australia
If you’re an international student who does not meet the English language requirements for your desired course of study in Australia, there are some alternative pathways available to you. Here are some of the options you can consider:
1. Study an English language course
You can enrol in an English language course at a language school or university in Australia to improve your language skills.
Many universities offer English language courses to international students who do not meet the language requirements for their desired course of study.
2. Study a pathway program
You can enrol in a pathway program that prepares you for university-level study while also improving your English language skills.
Pathway programs are typically offered by universities and are designed for international students who need to improve their language skills and academic knowledge before beginning their degree.
3. Apply for a waiver
Some universities in Australia may waive the English language requirement for international students who have completed their previous education in English or who have previously studied in Australia.
Apply for a student visa to Australia without an IELTS score
The application for the student visa can be done online. You must send in the following papers:
- A Valid Passport
- There are two photos
- Form for Confirmation of Enrollment (COE)
- Receipt for overseas health insurance
- Money has been spent.
- Proof of Where You Live
- Academic Transcripts