If Hungary is your preferred study destination, that’s a solid decision right there. Hungary may not be a tier one country but it’s up there with some of the best in terms of education. However, for you to study in Hungary, you need a study visa, which requires an interview at the embassy or consulate. In this post, we will talk about the common Hungary student visa interview questions and answers that will help you succeed in this interview.
Hungary has a student visa approval rate of 87.4%, just a 12.6% rejection rate. Note that this number depends on your specific country, which means it can be a bit higher or even lower. Nonetheless, this country is easy to get into with a study visa.
Hungary Student Visa Interview Questions
We will look at the common questions that students have been asked during visa interviews. So, what will be left is for you to practice them, and have quality answers that will convince the visa officer. Hungary officers prefer when you don’t give scripted responses. You have to be 100% natural because the purpose of this interview is to find out whether you have any ulterior motive behind your interest in a study visa. You will have to prove to them that all you want to do is study. That said, let’s get right into it.
1. Tell me about yourself
This isn’t a question per se, but an opportunity to present yourself, which will open up the floor for questions. Wear that warm smile while introducing yourself. You need to make the officer comfortable around you. So, after the officer gets to know you, other questions will follow which we will talk about. The idea behind this question is to know your background in your own words. You should also prepare well for this question. I would say that you need to plan and give honest answers.
2. Why do you want to study in Hungary?
As part of the Hungary student visa interview questions, you will be asked about your preference for Hungary and not any other country. This is why you should research and have your reasons. It could be because of affordability or availability of courses not found elsewhere, or if someone recommended it to you.
3. Where are you going to stay while you study?
This is an important question about your accommodations. Sometimes you might stay in the university dormitory, or you might have to arrange private accommodation. You should know where you will stay and how far it is from the university and how you will travel.
4. What does your family do?
You need to answer this question clearly because this assesses your ties with your country. It also opens up the floor about your financial ability. The officer wants to establish whether you can afford living expenses in Hungary or not. You have to be honest as the entire idea of this interview is not to give scripted answers but to give honest answers from the research you have done.
5. What is the benefit of this course to you?
This question is asked to know the importance of doing the course you are going to do. For example, if you are going to study IT, explain the scope of IT and why you are interested in it. You will be asked a lot more Hungary student visa interview questions here to see whether you know your course or not. You have to be knowledgeable about this course that you are going to study in Hungary. Let the interviewer know that you at least have an idea of what this course is all about. You will be asked about the course duration, which you should already know.
If you have done anything like contacting professors in the school or the department, and you received a response, let the visa officer know about it. All these are to show how seriously you have worked to land an admission in this course.
6. Why did you choose this particular university?
You can tell them what you like about that university, maybe its QS ranking impressed you, or its position is very good, or it’s a publicly funded university. You need to give those reasons. You can talk about the Times Higher Education rankings as a factor. For example, Semmelweis University ranks in the top 300 in the world, which is a good position. We also have the University of Debrecen in the top 600. So, just find the rankings for your specific university and talk about that. Online reviews about a particular school can also be a valid reason why you want to study there.
7. What are your future goals?
As part of the Hungary student visa interview questions, you will be asked about your goals. For example, there’s a student who is going to Hungary to study medicine, and her father is a doctor. She said that after completing her studies, she would join her father’s hospital. You can tell them how you will cook. You need to answer this honestly and how you will arrange your food. Your goal could also be to improve your skills and then return to work with some of the best companies in the industry in your home country.
8. Do you have a scholarship?
Some students do study in Hungary on merit-based or need-based scholarships. Let the visa officer know about your scholarship. Also, tell them if it is fully funded or over for tuition and other miscellaneous fees. It doesn’t matter if you have no scholarship. However, the officer will eventually ask about your source of funding for tuition.
9. What are your plans after your studies?
This is usually one of the trick Hungary student visa interview questions asked to uncover a student’s ulterior motive. If you plan to work while your visa is for study only, they will reject your visa application. So, make sure to say that you plan to return to your country. Note that international students receiving a degree from a Hungarian university or college are eligible for the study-to-work visa but you must hand in your application 15 days before your student residence permit expires. However, don’t talk about this to the consular officer.
10. Do you have any relatives or friends in Hungary?
If you have any relatives in Hungary, let the officer know about them and your relationship with them. It could be your sibling, parent, friend, etc. A lot of times, if you have a relative, it signals to the officer that you will probably have a soft landing in Hungary.
Helpful Tips for Hungary Student Visa Interview
So, while it helps to know the Hungary student visa interview questions, you also need to equip yourself with these tips before and during the interview.
- Do Your Research – Make sure you know basic facts about Hungary and have a clear understanding of your travel itinerary. Usually, visa officers find this impressive from applicants.
- Practice at Home – Consider practicing for the interview by either conducting mock interviews or discussing potential questions with friends or family members to feel more ready and confident.
- Gather Your Documents – Have all necessary documents organized and ready for your interview, including your passport, photos, travel itinerary, accommodation details, bank statements, etc.
- Dress Appropriately – Although there’s no strict dress code, try to dress neatly and conservatively to make a good impression. You can just go corporate.
- Arrive Early – Make sure you get to the embassy or consulate well before your scheduled appointment. You need that ample time to relax, organize your thoughts, and mentally prepare for the interview. Early arrival will also help you to settle in and feel more comfortable.
- Stay Calm – I understand that we can sometimes feel tense. But don’t worry. Remember that interviewers are here to assist genuine students obtain their study visas. Also, pay close attention to each question asked and ensure you understand it before answering. Speak clearly and confidently, and make your responses concise and relevant.
- Maintain Eye Contact – Look the interviewer in the eyes while answering questions to show confidence and honesty. Also, be honest during your interview. If you are not sure about an answer, just admit it instead of fabricating a response.
We have been able to look at Hungary student visa interview questions that you should 100% expect during the interview. Remember, I keep advising you throughout this article to be honest and natural. Your responses should not sound scripted, which is why you have to practice beforehand. This student visa interview is very important, so you need to take it seriously.
Read Also: Cheapest Country to Study Medicine