The GM Family and Friends Discount is a program by General Motors. It allows you to enjoy special discounts on Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac vehicles if you are a family member or friend of an employee or authorized dealership. If eligible, you can enjoy discounted prices and even have your favorite vehicle delivered to your home by participating dealers.
This discount is a way for GM to show appreciation to its extended family. The goal of the program is to make your purchase more affordable. And the process is simple. So, in this post, I have discussed GM’s three family programs and how to get the discount.
GM Family and Friends Discount
Three GM Family and Friends Discounts are explained here, including:
- Family First
- GM Supplier Discount
- GM Dealership Employee Discount
You can pick from any of these GM Family and Friends Discounts, depending on which you are eligible for.
1. Family First | GM Vehicle Purchase Program
The GM Family First program is a special initiative by General Motors (GM) that offers exclusive discounts on Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac vehicles for eligible individuals. So, in this section, I will explain the important things you need to know about this GM Family and Friends Discount.
You can shop for your new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, or Cadillac online and even have it delivered to your home by a participating dealer where available.
Let’s say you are purchasing a 2023 Chevrolet Equinox RS AWD that has an MSRP of $34,190.00. With the Employee Discount, the price comes down to $31,709.06. Also, there is a Consumer Purchase Cash offer of -$1,250.00, which brings the Employee Discount Price after the offer to $30,459.06.
How to Save with the GM Family and Friends Discount Program
- Create your ideal vehicle and get the best price on the shopping website.
- Get an “Authorization Number”. This number must be provided to the dealer at the time of delivery.
- Find the vehicle you want at a dealership near you and present the discount.
Eligibility Requirements for Family First GM Discount
- Active, retired, former hourly or salaried GM employees with more than 20 total years of cumulative service, widows and widowers of such GM employees, and active employees and retirees of GM Financial can sponsor a wide range of family members, including spouses, domestic partners, children, stepchildren, and many more.
- Former hourly or salaried GM employees with 5-20 total years of cumulative service and their widows/widowers can sponsor their spouse and dependent children.
*The GM Family First program is designed for the U.S. market.
2. GM Supplier Discount | Vehicle Purchase Program
The GM Supplier Discount is another special program offered by General Motors for their suppliers. This program allows eligible participants to purchase or lease select Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac vehicles at a discounted price.
How does it work?
- Start shopping by creating your ideal vehicle and then get the best price for it. You can use the Build & Price tool to help with this.
- Before making a purchase, you’ll need to obtain an authorization number. This number must be provided to the dealer at the time of delivery. You can get your authorization number here.
- Find a dealership near you that has the vehicle you desire.
Discount Example for 2023 Chevrolet Equinox
- MSRP of 2023 Chevrolet Equinox RS AWD: $34,190.00
- Supplier Discount Price: $32,959.65
- Consumer Purchase Cash: -$1,250.00
- Supplier Discount Price After Offer: $31,709.65
Note: The MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees, and optional equipment. Some offers might not be available with other promotions, and deliveries must be taken by specific dates. Always check with participating dealers for program eligibility details and the list of eligible vehicles.
You need to find out if your company qualifies for the GM Supplier Discount. First, check your company’s eligibility here. Also, eligible participants can sponsor their spouse for this program.
3. GM Dealership Employee Discount | Vehicle Purchase Program
General Motors values the hard work of its dealership employees. As a token of appreciation, GM offers a special Dealership Employee Discount for Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, and GMC vehicles.
How does it work?
- Start by selecting your preferred vehicle from a range of eligible models. You can view the vehicles and offers here.
- Before making a purchase, you’ll need an authorization number. This site now requires GlobalConnect credentials to obtain authorization.
- Always have this number with you when you’re ready to make a purchase. You can get your authorization number here.
The discount is available to all full-time employees of a GM dealership. However, participants can only purchase GM vehicles from GM dealerships owned by the sponsoring GM Dealer Operator at the time of delivery. Additionally, eligible participants can sponsor their spouse for this program.
Note: Always check with participating dealers for program eligibility details and the list of eligible vehicles. Some offers might not be available with other promotions, and deliveries must be taken by specific dates.
GM Friends and Family Discount Amount
What is the exact amount you get for the GM Family and Friends Discount? The GM family and friends discount depends on the vehicle. Generally, it is about 5% for friends and approximately 10% for family or employees. you can tell the exact number using the Family First website and building the vehicle. For example, it might be around $1000, especially for a friend interested in purchasing a Silverado.
If you are an employee, you can find the invoice listing the supplier and employee price in the BARS app on GC.
Also, I suggest finding someone with prod access to look up the discount. My friend’s team often receives informal requests for this information.
All in all, the exact discount amount depends on the vehicle and whether you are a friend or family member. If you are an employee or know one, it might be best to use internal GM resources or ask colleagues for precise details.
Let’s conclude this article with a user’s success story regarding the GM Friends & Family discount. Tony Dedo’s Volt totaled in a storm and he became interested in buying a new Bolt. Given the current unfavorable market conditions for buying a new car, he reached out asking about someone who could sponsor him for the GM Friends and Family discount to help him and his family. Well, he had since found someone.
Now, here is something you need to know. Before you walk into a dealership with the GM Family and Friends Discount in mind, I recommend that you confirm if they will honor the discount. On one occasion, a dealer refused to honor the discount. I reached out to GM and they confirmed that it is up to the dealer to acknowledge the GM discount.