The aerospace industry currently has a workforce where women represent approximately 25 percent globally. Zonta International, with the goal of ensuring women have equal access to resources and are fairly represented in decision-making roles alongside men, has established the Amelia Earhart Fellowship.
Named after the renowned aviator and Zonta member, Amelia Earhart, this fellowship has been in existence since 1938. It grants a US$10,000 award each year to a maximum of 30 women who are pursuing Ph.D./doctoral degrees in aerospace engineering and space sciences. Recipients have the freedom to utilize the fellowship at any accredited university or college offering post-graduate programs and degrees in these specific fields.
Since its establishment in 1938, Zonta has granted the prestigious Amelia Earhart Fellowships to 1,275 women from 76 countries, amounting to over US$11.3 million in total funding. The program has supported a diverse range of talented individuals who have pursued successful careers in various fields.
Former Amelia Earhart Fellows have achieved remarkable accomplishments, including becoming astronauts, aerospace engineers, astronomers, professors, geologists, business owners, and even holding esteemed positions such as Secretary of the US Air Force. Their achievements exemplify the impact and opportunities provided by the fellowship.
Amelia Earhart Fellowship eligibility
The Amelia Earhart Fellowship is open to:
- women of any nationality who are pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree and demonstrate exceptional academic achievements in research related to aerospace engineering or space sciences.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a full-time Ph.D./doctoral program and have completed at least one year of that program, or hold a master’s degree in an aerospace-applied field at the time of application.
- Applicants must not anticipate graduating from their Ph.D. or doctoral program before April 2024.
Who does not qualify for Amelia Earhart Fellowship?
- Post-doctoral research programs do not qualify for this Amelia Earhart Fellowship.
- people who are club members, direct members of Zonta International, employees of Zonta International and Zonta Foundation for Women, as well as their family members (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or co-habiting partner), are ineligible to apply.
- Previous recipients of the Amelia Earhart Fellowship cannot apply to renew the Fellowship for a second year.
Amelia Earhart Fellowship application process
The Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship Committee carefully reviews all applications and makes recommendations to the Zonta International Board.
Each applicant is evaluated based on the criteria outlined in the application requirements. The evaluation process is confidential, and details of the assessments are not disclosed to the applicants. All applicants will be informed of their application status by the end of April. You can register for Amelia Earhart Fellowship here.
The application deadline period for Amelia Earhart Fellowship is available on the website.
Amelia Earhart Fellowships are made possible through the generous contributions to the Zonta Foundation for Women Amelia Earhart Fellowship Fund. It is the support and donations received that enable the funding of these fellowships.
If you have any inquiries, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read also: Aviation scholarships for minorities